Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Greetings!

Welcome to my blog that I created for Music Subcultures and the Media; a course that I am studying this semester at the University of Queensland.

I will be posting my thoughts on a variety of texts which I come across as I conduct research for an essay I am writing on the Emo subculture.

My initial interest in what I want to write about is how the Emo subculture has become a part of mainstream society, and the new meaning and accessibility that has been created due to commercialisation (e.g. fashion trends) and technology (myspace, forums etc.)

I also note that the media have labelled certain bands such as My Chemical Romance as poster boys for teen suicide, which I believe is a grossly inaccurate claim. Hence, it is worthwhile examining why these so-called Emo bands are supposedly the leaders of a "Dangerous Suicide Cult", and the real motives for self-harming behaviour among teenagers.

Finally, after some initial research I noticed that there is a significant gap in the academic literature concerning the Emo. Because this subculture is undoubtedly a large part of popular culture, it is useful to examine its origins and what influenced its mainstream transition.

Afterwards, I hope to have significantly expanded my knowledge about "those kids that hang outside Hungry Jacks", learn some music history and the interaction between this subculture and the media.


A long-lost relative of the Care Bears that they'd rather forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment